Tuesday, April 21, 2009

GI Film Festival: May 13-17, 2009 - Washington DC

The GI Film Festival is approaching May 13-17, 2009 in Washington DC. I wish I could attend. Some fascinating movies are included in this year's collection. A couple especially caught my eye about World War II and made me think of Clarksburg Ohio WWII veterans who experienced similar situations.


The first is Everyman's War about one man's heroic effort during the Battle of the Bulge. A number of Clarksburg men were caught in bad situations during the Battle of the Bulge, from the Northern Shoulder near Elsenborn, down as far south as Bastogne.



Another interesting documentary is this one: The Inheritance of War, about the Baatan Death March survivors' efforts to sue leading Japanese manufacturers who tortured them and forced them into slave labor during the war. Some of my grandfather's friends from his early days at Ft. Sam Houston were captured by the Japanese and forced into these conditions and it reminds me of the letter he sent home expressing concern for his friends and how the division vowed to get even. They got even alright... but in Europe instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment